Healthy skin care habits help prevent premature skin aging.
Anti-aging skin care tips
- Protect your skin from the sun: Sun protection forms the foundation of every anti-aging
skin-care plan. The sun’s rays make our skin age more quickly. We have so much evidence that the sun
prematurely ages our skin that there is actually a word to describe this effect. This word is “photoaging.” To
help patients protect their skin from the sun and other harmful UV rays, dermatologists offer these tips:
- Seek shade: Be sure to seek shade between 10 a.m. and 2 p.m. and whenever your
shadow looks shorter than you are.
- Cover up in style: Whenever possible, wear a wide-brimmed hat, pants, and long
sleeves. Gloves help to minimize common signs of aging on our hands such as age spots. Sunglasses help
reduce fine lines around our eyes.
- Slather on the sunscreen every day before going outdoors: To protect your skin,
apply sunscreen to all skin that clothing will not cover. You want to use a sunscreen that offers
broad-spectrum protection, SPF 30 (or higher), and water resistance.
- Forget about indoor tanning: The sun, tanning beds, and sun lamps expose you to
harmful ultraviolet (UV) rays. These rays accelerate skin aging.
- Apply moisturizer every day: As we age, skin becomes drier. Fine lines and wrinkles
appear. Moisturizer traps water in our skin, giving it a more youthful appearance. For best results, use a
facial moisturizer, body moisturizer, and lip balm.
- Wash away dirt and grime twice a day: How you wash your face can affect your appearance.
For best results, you want to wash with warm water and a mild cleanser rather than soap. You also should avoid
scrubbing your skin clean.
- Stop smoking: Tobacco smoke contains toxins that can lead to smoker’s face. Signs of
smoker’s face include dull and dry complexion, loss of skin’s firmness, premature lines and wrinkles, and
- Eat healthy foods: A healthy diet promotes healthy skin. Make sure you eat plenty of
fruits and vegetables, lean proteins, and healthy fats.
- Get enough sleep: It’s called beauty rest for a reason. Sleep gives your body time to
refresh and renew itself.